Lazy Weekends
Saturday was a lazy day for us. In the morning I went to stock up on food for the week. My neighbor, Susan, showed me how to ride the "chicken bus" - a first for me, even though I've been to Guatemala four times! It's quite easy, costs less than 25 cents and takes a fraction of the time I was spending walking. I still enjoy walking, but on some days I like to get to town and back in a quicker fashion. We stopped by the coffee roaster to pick up some fresh coffee. The guy who roasts is a trip - literally. He looks like he did WAY too many drugs in the 60s. Anyhow, I get it ground and "fuerte" which means strong. Though, it's not nearly as strong as I drink it back home. So, I've requested that my girlfriend, Tracey, who is coming to visit on the 19th bring me some good old Peet's! We stopped by the bodegona (super market) to pick up veggies and other foods. The eggs, I learned, are in the same section as dog food. Not sure what that means...We also stopped by Epicure (a specialty store) for meat and fresh bread...yum! Then we headed to the artisan's market to look for a wooden statue of Mary...none to be found for my friend, Susan. Alas, we headed home in a Tuk-Tuk - a whole dollar's ride home with many bags of groceries in hand.
In the afternoon after eating, Diego and I spent the remaining hours lounging in the back part of the children's home. There is a nice grass area and I bought a lounge chair the last time I was in Guatemala City at PriceSmart (Costco, basically). He so enjoys being outdoors. We both napped and I burned my legs a little!
Nighttime is the hardest around here, especially on the weekends when everything seems much slower paced. I get most lonely then. Diego needs more attention after about 4 PM and he's going to sleep around 7 PM lately, so until I go to sleep I get lonely. I don't have a TV that works and I'm pretty much sticking to my apartment now. I am SOOOO looking forward to more visitors....Tracey and then perhaps my mother or father again.
I still do not know anything about the status of my case. So, I have no anticipated date of returning home. It could be one month, it could be three. Your continued thoughts prayers for the speedy completion of the case are so appreciated!!
Later this morning we are going to Hotel Antigua. Sunday has become celebration day for us. We go swimming with friends and eat a delicious buffet lunch. It signals the end of another week - one week closer to going home. I miss Christian tremendously and Sunday is my day to be hopeful that I will see him again soon and that I can settle back into my own home, my own life once again.
Thank you to everyone who sends an email. I love logging on and finding your message. It gets me through the long afternoons and evenings.
Much love, Lauren and Diego


1 Comments:
I wish i was there to hang out with and be with Christain. Well i got some good news to tell you, i have a part time job now in the evenings from 6:30 to 9:30 Tuesday through Saturday. i will be working at a barbeque place in town washing pots and pans and cleaning up around the place. I will be working for Gil Foster the one that used to own the grocery stories by Dad's office.
Love
Uncle Erik
June 12, 2005 at 3:10 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home