The story of our journey with international adoption, travels, and parenthood

Monday, May 30, 2005

Internet Down

The internet service was down here the past couple of days, so I've not had a chance to blog recently. So, this may be a lengthy update. A lot has happened since Christian left. He had his eye surgery and is still recovering. I am adjusting to his being gone. Diego is feeling much much better after his antibiotics and rounds of nebulizing and nasal spray. He is back to his normal, adorable, charming self, which is great! I am glad he can finally breathe. He had gotten into some very bad sleeping habits when he was sick. And I am to blame, I admit it. I did everything wrong. I read very little about parenting before actually becoming one, but the one book I did read was about sleeping. Unfortunately I broke every rule there is to break and paid the price a couple of nights. Diego was waking up every hour insisting on being held. So, last night I gathered up the courage to let him cry it out. He cried for maybe an hour and a half, and I comforted him every 10-15 minutes for 35 minutes before falling asleep myself. Tonight he cried for 6-7 minutes before falling asleep. He woke up an hour later, but again fell back asleep in 7 minutes, so I think we are back on track for sleeping. Of course, I have relegated myself to the couch to sleep so that I can actually get some rest.

On Sunday we had a fabulous day at Hotel Antigua. They have a great pool and are very child-friendly. I met up with a girl I met here, Danielle, and she introduced me to another adoptive mother from Indianapolis, Melissa. We ate a great lunch buffet and swam with our sons (for both Christian and Gavin it was a first!). The sun was relaxing and the babies loved being outdoors and in the pool. They both crashed and slept soundly on the grass while we enjoyed more swimming and a beer. It was a great day and the first time I felt normal since Christian left.

I am now going to be helping Nancy out by working with her daughters on their home schooling. This will give me a break in the morning to do something I love and miss - teaching! Diego will be next door with a nanny for 3 hours. Then, I'll be able to spend the afternoons with him. I think this will really help me adjust to being here long term.

On that note, we do not know the status of our case. So, we do not have any idea still when I will be coming home with Diego. I have decided that I do not want to know, rather I will be surprised on the day I find out we are out of PGN and within 3 weeks of coming home. So, when I know, you'll know.

The weather here continues to be warm during the day, chilly at night with rain storms in the later evening. Small tremblers at night, too.

Diego is so cute. He has learned how to blow bubbles with his mouth and he is sitting up by himself. He's gaining weight and growing. He's getting cuter and cuter each day. His personality is so sweet, and we are having a great time just hanging out. Night time is the hardest, of course, because he is tired, but hopefully his new sleep habits will improve that.

Nothing else for now...Love you all, Lauren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home